April 14, 2010

Baby Blankets update

You may remember me telling you about the lovely blankets being sent out to my sister Ettie who works with UNICEF in Hargeisa, Somalia. Well She sent me these photos of babies with their blankets in the paediatric unit of Burao Hospital. Absolutely gorgeous.
If she wasn't so busy saving the world she'd make a brilliant photographer!






Seeing these beautiful babies makes me feel that it's so important for me to do something. I don't know what yet though. Ettie was telling me that she saw babies dying in this hospital this week from simple things like diarrhea. That situation would be unthinkable here.

I'm thinking of setting up a 'sister school' between this hospital and the art classes that I do on Saturday mornings. We could have 'art' exhibitions and fund raising functions. It's just an idea at the moment but I'll let you know when I've something concrete sorted out and I'd love to hear any ideas you have!

Thanks!
Lilly x

7 comments:

  1. beautiful photos, but so upsetting to think about the unnecessary suffering - would love to help you with this, so keep us posted
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls! Yeah I'm going to have a Bake/Art sale in a few weeks, Any excuse to make loads of cakes! It should be really nice though!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. really gorgeous photos indeed. but such a sad story. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, and lovely blog,thank you.
    How did the exhibition and sale go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful Somali babies! I just get so drawn back to Africa with this post. Good for your sis to be there - we spent nearly 20 years in development in Africa and Asia so it's deeply embedded in us.I'd go back in the morning if the kids were all done for - so no go for another 7or 8 years I guess! Serendipity I should read this post - our first offer when we married in 1981 was to a project in Hargeisa in Somalia but as I was pregnant we decided Tanzania had better facilities for having babies in the bush so we went there (and had two kids in the next 3 years in an Irish mission hospital!). We didn''t ever get to Somalia, but had lots of friends who were there - Concern even lost a volunteer there tragically - Valerie Place was killed in crossfire in 1993 RIP - so it was a hardship posting. I hope it's safe now for Ettie - good luck with her work. We worked closely with UNICEF over the years.
    All the best, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pearl Barley: I haven't had the sale yet! We're building up to it! I'll do a post about it when we do it though!
    Catherine: I know, I remember you telling me about Valerie Place on your blog, it's terrible to hear that!! They're desperate for nurses out there so whenever you do go back you'll be welcomed with open arms. x

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!x